What We Know About Tennessee’s Injuries
Tennessee was down four major starters coming into Saturday’s game against Texas A&M. By the time the Vols left College Station, five additional players had injuries that forced them to leave the game. Three other players went down during course of the game but later returned.
The injury situation has gotten so dire that that Coach Butch Jones stated in his postgame press conference that he will no longer be talking about any team injuries.
Here’s a complete wrap up of what we know about every injury the Vols have suffered so far…
- According to reports, senior linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin (shoulder) is having season-ending surgery within the next two weeks.
- Senior defensive back Cam Sutton has a broken ankle and has the possibility to return near the end of the season but may be lost for the year.
- Junior running back Jalen Hurd didn’t travel with the team to College Station due to an “undisclosed injury.”
- Sophomore linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr. sustained a high ankle injury against Virginia Tech and Butch Jones said he expects Kirkland Jr. to return against Alabama.
- Sophomore defensive back Micah Abernathy was wearing a walking boot prior to the game but ended up playing.
- Senior center Dylan Wiesman went out after a hit knocked his helmet off in the first quarter.
- Junior offensive lineman Jashon Robertson left with an unspecified injury in the fourth quarter.
- Redshirt senior defensive lineman Danny O’Brien was carted off on a stretcher after a scary head/neck injury. O’Brien was reportedly moving all four extremities and flew back with the team after being evaluated further.
- Redshirt junior defensive lineman Kendal Vickers left the game in the fourth quarter with an unspecified injury.
- Junior linebacker Cortez McDowell left the game in the third quarter with an unspecified injury.
- Defensive backs Evan Berry, Malik Foreman, and Emmanuel Moseley all went down with apparent injuries at different points but all returned to play later in the game.
Obviously, with Coach Jones providing no additional information on any of these injuries, we don’t know the status of the affected players in relation to their availability for Saturday’s game against Alabama. We’ll keep you updated if and when any information emerges.